Microorganisms in agriculture, food and feed production have many faces: pathogens, spoilers, contaminants, fermentation starters, probiotics, protective cultures, cell factories, etc.
The Belgian Coordinated Collections of Microorganisms (BCCM) preserve thousands of meticulously characterised isolates and reference strains of bacteria, filamentous fungi, yeasts, diatoms and also plasmids. Working under quality controlled conditions, BCCM provides viable organisms or DNA extracts.
In addition to invaluable microbiological resources, BCCM also offers a range of services for microbial analyses. Our specialised staff is ready to help you find the right service for your specific business or academic needs.
Looking for biological material?
Go and visit the BCCM online catalogue
- Subsets of specific interest: lactic acid bacteria, bifidobacteria, probiotics, brewing yeasts, test- and control strains, full genome strains, etc.
- Customised subsets for screening at special conditions
- Strain sets for educational purposes at reduced price
- Distribution of DNA
Need to preserve isolates or plasmids?
BCCM preserves cultures (incl. production strains) and DNA under quality controlled conditions.
- Free public deposit under a unique accession number
- Restricted access deposits: safe – patent – storage of third party material
Need to know your cultures?
Make use of the BCCM characterisation expertise.
- Research: biodiversity – taxonomy – functional properties
- Food and agricultural products and processes: quality – safety – monitoring
- Tailor-made approaches
Looking for training?
BCCM provides training for groups or individuals.
- On isolation, cultivation and preservation of food and feed microorganisms
- On polyphasic identification, taxonomy and classification of starters, spoilers, inoculants, probiotics etc.
- Technical trainings (e.g. MALDI-TOFF)
Require more specific services?
Ask BCCM for consultancy & contract research.